18 August 2005

India, cheap and plentiful

India, with its cheap and plentiful skilled professional workforce, not to mention its ample natural resources, is likely to be an attractive proposition for a lot of foreign investors.

If a global strategy for India – such as the one I presented in my post day before yesterday – were to come into play, what would it mean to other countries? I don’t mean other countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh or China which would compete with India to attract the same foreign investment; I refer to developed countries like the U.S. and the U.K. which are likely to invest in India?


And, in turn, how would it reflect on India?

From what I can see, investment in services of the kind I’ve mentioned earlier (see my post of 16 August) can only mean more profits for foreign investors – for countries, companies and individuals. This will benefit both India and the investing countries as business continues to grow between them. Which means, economic growth in India will beget economic growth in these foreign countries.

In turn, these countries will push for more market access in India. More Pepsis, more McWorlds, more Nikes and more IBMs – even Samsungs and LGs – will flood Indian markets to help Indians spend their money earned from their enhanced incomes. This, of course, will benefit everyone on this new path to free enterprise, economic development and prosperity… presenting India with a perfect solution to alleviating poverty.

A win-win situation, if I've ever seen one!

No comments: